TM (Translation Memory) – a database of previously translated content. Each time a segment of text (sentence, title, unit, list, etc.) is translated, translation memory stores the original source text together with the translated text as a pair. The translation is then automatically populated anytime the same source segment appears in the client’s content.
Translation memory promotes consistency across multiple projects and can significantly reduce the translation time.
If a client uses TM, you’ll see the relevant info in the project header:
- Word count – total number of words in the project.
- Total new words - new words or word count excluding sentences pre-translated by the TM.
Translators are paid the full rate for NEW words and a % of the full rate for reviewing TM matches.
Translation work for these projects should always be done in the online editor – “workbench.” If there is an issue with the workbench, contact us via the Translators-BLEND Talk board. Translations done offline (not using the workbench) will not be compensated.
In the online editor, a string that has a TM match is marked with “M” for “match”:
- Click on “M” for the TM translation to appear.
- Always use the suggested translation.
- If you strongly disagree with the TM suggestion, contact us with an example.